February 27, 2018
Yes, I know the name of the recipe might sound weird - why would you use beet in a cake - well, why not? It’s pink and beautiful, plus kids really enjoy it and they don’t even know they’re eating a vegetable cake! This cake is completely vegan so there are no eggs or dairy, that can really help if you need to make a cake for someone who is allergic to one of the above.
This time I am not using any shortcuts, I made the applesauce myself. Moreover, after you see how easy it is to make, you will never buy applesauce again. I found that homemade applesauce is sweet enough on its own and I did not add any sugar to it; usually when you buy applesauce one of the ingredients on it is sugar so by making it on your own you avoid sugar which is even better!
I hope you’ll like the recipe as much as I do! Let’s get started:
Ingredients for the applesauce:
- 3 green apples cored, peeled and cut to small cubes
- Juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup water
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 medium beet finely grated
- 3/4 cup demerara sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup any vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- Juice of half a lemon
Ingredients for garnish:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
*You can also soak a few pieces of the shredded beet in water to make the frosting a bit pink.
- For the applesauce: place apple cubes, lemon juice and water in a pot, cook on high, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, simmer for 20 minutes until the apples are very soft, and fall apart.
- Let it cool. With a fork or food processor, blend to a mush mixture.
- Save in a bowl with the top wrapped with plastic until you’re ready to use.
- For the cake: Heat the oven to 160°C / 320°F fan.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients to a unify batter.
- Grease 2 English cake molds. (or cake loaf pans)
- Pour the batter into the molds.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- For the garnish: In a bowl, whisk the water and powdered sugar to a smooth mixture.
- Pour the glaze on the cakes.
- Have a piece of cake with a cup of tea and enjoy!
Looking for more vegan recipes? click here:
To pin the recipe for later click here