January 2, 2018
Challah bread is traditional bread that’s whipped up for Friday evening dinners in the Jewish religion. You know the one; it looks like a braid and is fluffy on the inside. Or in other words, it’s a slice of heaven.
All you need are two pieces of bread (and for those who are religious, Jewish, then be sure to bless it). The bread itself is sometimes sweeter and gives a fun, tasty start for the heavy meal that comes straight after.
This specific recipe I actually learned from my sister, as she is the one in charge of making Challah in our family for Friday dinner. I’m usually the one makes the dessert ;)
The recipe requires rising time for the dough so if you are in a hurry, this is not the bread for you. If you have time and patience, then you will have super delicious and yummy bread to munch on!
Psst, for my next blog post, I will share with you an idea for leftover Challah bread - stay tuned!
- 500 grams / 4 cups flour
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/4 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup any vegetable oil/ olive oil
- 1 egg beaten - egg wash
- 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- 1. Mix all of the dry ingredients, except for the salt, in the mixer bowl.
- 2. Attach the kneading hook and mix on slow speed.
- 3. Gradually add oil, water, and egg while mixing.
- 4. Add salt and knead for 4 minutes until dough is unified.
- 5. Form the dough into a ball shape and let this rise in a greased bowl for an hour.
- 6. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and let this rise again for half an hour.
- 7. Shape each piece to a challah shape – which is braided.
- 8. Heat the oven to 160°C / 320°F degrees with no fan - upper and lower heat.
- 9. Brush the 2 Challahs with the egg wash and let this rise again for another half an hour - if you are in a hurry, you can skip this step.
- 10. Make another layer of egg wash and sprinkle all of the garnish seeds.
- 11. Bake for 40-50 minutes –but pay attention after 40 minutes if the bread looks very golden then take them out of the oven!
- 12. Serve and enjoy!