July 29, 2017
Brief history lesson - Galette is a French name for a round cake. Ooh-la-la! There are many kinds of galettes, some are eaten traditionally at Christmas time and are also more festive. This galette in particular is very simple and is a rustic version of a fancy tart; without blind baking and so many steps at preparation as well. You can change the nectarines to apples or pears but in the summer time, it’s best with rich summer fruits. In addition, I prefer to change the flour to spelt flour (the same amount though) to make it a bit healthier but you can stick to regular white flour if you do not consider cakes a healthy food. ;)
For the dough:
- 150 grams flour
- 100 grams cold butter, cut to cubes
- 40 grams powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 3 cut nectarines (if you change to apples - squeeze half a lemon on them)
- 1-tablespoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sugar (you can add more if you prefer this more sweet)
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1. In a food processor with a steel blade, place the flour, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, then process until a crumbly mixture is obtained.
- 2. Add the egg and continue to process until the dough lumps are formed.
- 3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and form a disc shape.
- 4. Wrap in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
- 5. Set the oven to 180°C fan.
- 6. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 3-4 mm thick sheet.
- 7. Spread the ground almond on the center of the dough.
- 8. Place the cut nectarines on it in a spiral shape - as much as possible and it does not need to be too tidy.
- 9. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of sugar on the nectarine.
- 10. Fold the dough edges on the filling. Try to catch all the filling and avoid holes on the sides.
- 11. Sprinkle the last tablespoon of sugar on the dough edges.
- 12. You can even go extra fancy and decorate with sliced almonds.
- 13. Bake for 24 minutes.
- 14. Let cool and enjoy!