June 10, 2017
After baking this recipe for the last few months, I now feel ready to share it with all of you. Baking bread is a challenge for every home baker, however; if you wish to try this tasty recipe then remember, patience is crucial. Carefully read through and follow this recipe, I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I do.
Ingredient for 1 loaf:
Starter polish sourdough:
- 150 grams / 2/3 cup bread flour
- 150 grams / 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 Teaspoon dry yeast
For the Bread:
- 350 grams / 2 & 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tablespoon dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons of date molasses
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- The starter sourdough
- 225 grams / 1 cup water (might be a bit more)
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 1. In a small bowl, mix all of the starter dough ingredients. Let it rise for 12 hours. *I usually make the starter in the morning before I go out to work and then in the evening, I bake the bread. You can also make it before you go to sleep and in the morning, bake the bread. Just plan it by your daily routine.
- 2. In a mixer bowl, sift all the flour for the bread.
- 3. Add the dry yeast and blend with the flour manually. (It is important that the yeast will mix in the flour before adding liquid ingredients)
- 4. Add the starter dough, date molasses and olive oil.
- 5. Attach the kneading hook to the mixer and start mixing the dough - add the water gradually on a low speed. Do not add all the water yet!
- 6. Stop the mixer after 2 minutes and add the salt and flax seeds.
- 7. Add the rest of the water and continue the kneed in a low speed.
- 8. Continue the mixer until the dough is combined, soft and sticky.(if the dough is too dry add a bit more water)
- 9. Let the dough rise in a floured bowl for an hour or until it doubles its size.
- 10. Take the dough out of the bowl to a floured surface and fold it like an envelope.
11. Set the oven to 220°C / 430°F fan.
- 12. Shape the loaf as you wish and place on a baking pan.
- 13. Let it sit for another 20 minutes covered with a kitchen towel.
- 14. Score the top of the loaf with a knife.
- 15. Prepare a baking pan with ice cubes at the bottom of the oven (for creating steam inside the oven. The steam gives the bread its tasty crust.)
- 16. Bake for 20 minutes.
- 17. Lower the oven to 190°C / 380°F fan and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- 18. Cool the bread completely. Lift it out of the pan and transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
- 19. Wait until the bread has cooled to room temperature before slicing and enjoying!