February 6, 2018
I really loved the idea of not having to use a mixer machine to make bread and only 1 bowl to wash after! I read about it in this Italian blog post. In almost 3 hours, your kitchen can smell like a warm, breathtaking bakery ~and~ you will have a rustic delicious bread to munch on.
Originally the bread is made with olives, but when I tried it, I decided to change them to nuts, which are more delicate and loved by my family. The bread is vegan and because I also changed most of the flour to spelt flour, it is healthier and full of flavor. The total package!
You will have to use a pot that is suitable for baking in the oven, I have a ceramic pot that I am using, you can use any type of pot you have just make sure it's safe to bake with.
- 200 grams / 1 & 3/4 cups regular flour
- 300 grams / 2.5 cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 80 ml / 1/3 cup water
- 320 ml / 1 & 1/3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 50 grams / 1/3 cup pecan nuts and walnuts
- In a bowl mix the sugar, dry yeast, and the small amount of water. Let it sit for 10 minutes – to activate the yeast.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well to unify dough.
- Let it rise, but make sure it’s covered with plastic, for 1 hour and 40 minutes
- Heat the oven to 220°C / 428°F fan and place a pot that is suitable for baking in the oven for 20 minutes – the dough is still rising at this time.
- After 20 minutes take the pot out of the oven carefully, add a bit of flour to it and put the dough in it.
- Bake for 40 minutes with lid on.
- Remove the pot lid and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven carefully and let the bread cool at room temperature outside the pot.
- Slice and enjoy!
Looking for more vegan recipes? click here:
To pin the recipe for later click here