Savory Vegetable Tart
March 5, 2019
I may get commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. disclaimer
This impressive tart doesn't just look good, it also tastes very good! The design on the top of this tart is a combination of 2 trends that have been very popular on the internet lately - spiral and rose vegetables. Fancy? I think so!
The vegetables I used are root vegetables – carrots in different colors, parsnips, beet and also zucchini. The different vegetables create a nice colorful look and taste delicious (as usual). To design the tart with spiral and roses, the vegetables need to be cut to thin slices. For the vegetables to be easy to roll into roses, you need to let them sit for half an hour in boiled water. All vegetables need this treatment apart from the zucchinis as they are softer to begin with and do not count as a root vegetable. The beet and purple carrots if you use, will color the water so keep them in a separate bowl with water.
The tart filling is heavy cream, eggs and cheese. I used mozzarella; you can use any type you like. Doesn't that sound like heaven?!
I hope you really enjoy this easy and stunning vegetable tart, here is the recipe:
Ingredients for the crust:
- 300 grams (2 cups) of flour
- 200 grams (2 sticks) of cold butter cut to cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of cold water (NOTE: only use if the dough looks too dry after combining all the ingredients together.)
For the filling:
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 7 carrots in different colors
- 1 beet
- 1 zucchini
- Salt and pepper by your taste
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil to brush the vegetables before baking
- In a blender, place flour, salt and cold butter.
- Blend to a crumbled mixture.
- Add the egg and continue blending until the batter turns to dough.
- If it's too dry, add one tablespoon of cold water and blend again.
- With your hands, shape the dough to a disc shape and wrap with nylon.
- Place the dough in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a 3-4 mm thick sheet and set aside the baking pan, making sure to create a right angle between the side and the base, ensuring that the edges remain high.
- Stab the dough with a fork.
- Freeze the dough inside the pan for an hour.
- With a mandolin slicer or vegetable peeler, cut the vegetables to thin slices.
- Place the vegetable slices (but the zucchini) in a bowl with boiling water to soften for half an hour, place the beet and purple carrots in a separate bowl so it doesn't color all vegetables.
- Set the oven to 170°C/ 340°F fan.
- In a bowl, mix 2 eggs with heavy cream, mozzarella, salt and pepper.
- On the frozen crust, pour the filling.
- Roll some of the vegetables to roses and arrange on top of the filling, the rest can be arranged in a spiral shape until all the tart is covered with vegetables.
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Have a piece and enjoy!
To pin the recipe for later click here