Banana bread is a classic dessert everyone just loves, well except the people that hate bananas, but they probably aren’t reading this now. 🙂 This recipe for yummy banana bread cake has an upgrade, as it includes chocolate cake! Talk about a perfect combination.
To get the chocolate flavor in the cake, I used cocoa powder and chocolate chips - you have to agree that every dessert is better with chocolate chips!
The recipe is nondairy parve and you can have it as your weekend dessert for Shabbat too.
To show the cake flavors on the outside, I garnished the cake with a banana on top and some of the chocolate chips I sprinkled on the cake batter after I mixed it and placed in the pan. This way everyone knows the cake contain bananas and chocolate, of course.
The cake is moist and full of flavor, and I think the banana garnish on top makes it look fancy and festive. If you only have 2 bananas then you can skip the garnish, and still enjoy the delicious cake!
On the other hand, if you have more ripe bananas to use and are looking for more recipes with bananas then check out my banana recipe index. For other pareve desserts, check out my parve desserts page.
Here is the recipe for this tasty parve banana chocolate cake:
Banana Chocolate Cake
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup soy milk or other nondairy milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup nondairy chocolate chips
- 3 bananas (2 mashed with a fork and 1 whole for garnish)
- Set the oven to 160°C / 325°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients but leave one whole banana aside for the garnish.
- Mix well.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Pour the batter to the pan.
- Place the banana and extra chocolate chips for garnish on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool the cake at room temperature.
- Have a piece and enjoy!