If one of your New Year resolutions was to start a vegan diet, this recipe is for you! These vegan olive rolls are easy to make for breakfast or a tasty snack. To make the rolls more interesting I added olives and the outcome is a delicious!
The key ingredient for the rolls is vegan cream cheese. I used Tofutti which is made from soy. The non-dairy cream cheese helps to create the right texture for the dough. All the ingredients, apart from the olives, are mixed together and then you flatten a small piece of the dough in your hand and add the olives. Finally, you wrap the dough onto the olives and they are a delicious surprise when you take a bite.
The olives I used are black Kalamata olives. This type of olive has a great taste and is a favorite at our house! You can use any type of olives that you like, even from a can, just make sure the olives are pitted as no one wants to break a tooth.
The oil in the recipe is olive oil which completes the olives inside the rolls. To garnish the rolls, I sprinkled sesame seeds on them. Obviously you can use any seeds you prefer or just omit if you don’t want a garnish.
As you can see, the recipe is very quick and easy and also kids enjoy helping and making them!
For more vegan recipes be sure to check my vegan recipe index. For other buns and rolls recipes or breakfast ideas, check out my recipe index.
The recipe yields approximately 24 small rolls. It depends on the size you make them.
Here is the recipe for these yummy vegan olive rolls:
Vegan Olive Rolls
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tofutti cream cheese (340 grams | 12 oz)
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup pitted olives
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Set the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, add all ingredients but the olives and sesame seeds.
- Mix well.
- If the dough is too dry and crumbly, add 1-2 tablespoons of water and continue mixing until it’s unified.
- Flatten a small piece of the dough in your hand and add olives inside. Then wrap the dough on the olives and roll to a small ball.
- Arrange the rolls on a baking pan.
- Brush the rolls with a bit of water and sprinkle the sesame seeds
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool the rolls at room temperature.
- Have a roll and enjoy!
Leave a Reply