Are you still on track to fulfill all your New Year’s Resolutions? If the answer is yes, good for you! You’re one of the lucky ones. And if the answer is no, well, welcome to the club. But in any case, shake it all off because February is here! You know what that means? Spring is right around the corner! And a new chapter can be written in 2019, regardless of what your New Year’s Resolutions are, it’s a brand-new month. While it might still be winter and super cold, you can already picture the fresh flowers, the refreshing smell of a newly mowed lawn, a crunchy salad, and (unfortunately), you’ve also started some of your Spring cleaning. While you’re still daydreaming of Spring, I have the perfect chocolatey dessert to hold you over until warmer days finally come back again – Chocolate Cupcakes are the one and only answer!
With moist chocolatey cake and delicious chocolate cream to garnish, this dessert is everything you need right now. If you want to make this dessert even more decadent, you can fill the cupcakes with pleasing chocolate ganache that you only discover once you've taken a bite, YUM! Chocolate ganache is simply melted chocolate mixed with heavy cream; don’t let the name scare you! Each type of chocolate (dark/ milk/ white) has different ratios to keep when making ganache and you can read all about it here.
Because I wanted to make these cupcakes parve (nondairy), I used nondairy heavy cream for the chocolate ganache. You can also use coconut cream if you prefer.
For the cream on top of the cupcakes, I also used non-dairy heavy cream, if you don't mind or you want the cupcakes to be dairy, just use regular heavy cream. Additionally, I created a post about vegan whipped cream that is made from coconut cream and can also replace non-dairy heavy cream, check it out.
In short, if you plan to use coconut cream, you need to be able to whip it to a stiff peak! Be sure to chill the tin of coconut cream for an entire night in the fridge. When whipping the cream, just use the non-liquid parts that float to the top of the tin. It is important to use coconut cream with high fat in it, like 20% or more. You won’t be able to whip lower fat creams.
The cupcakes themselves contain shredded coconut that goes perfectly well with the heavenly chocolate flavor and adds more texture to the cake. The shredded coconut makes an excellent fit if you choose to use coconut cream.
The last garnish I added to these divine cupcakes is strawberries; not only do they look nice and add color, but they taste delicious! Overall, they enhance the flavor of the chocolate cupcake. You can also garnish with other fruits or omit them – it's your choice.
To bake the cupcakes, I used silicon cupcakes cases. You can use paper cases as well, just be sure to place them inside a cupcake tin so the shape of the cupcakes will remain.
I hope you will enjoy scarfing down these delectable chocolate cupcakes, start the recipe now:
Chocolate Cupcakes (non-dairy)
For the cream:
- whipped coconut cream by this recipe with an added 3 tablespoons of instant chocolate pudding powder. --OR---
- 1 cup non-dairy heavy cream
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoon chocolate instant pudding powder
For filling (optional):
- Dark Chocolate ganache
- Cut strawberries
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- Add eggs, oil and water and mix to a unified batter.
- Pour the batter into the cupcakes cases up to ¾ height - the cakes will grow in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Make the dark chocolate ganache.
- With a teaspoon, create small holes in each cupcake center.
- Fill the holes with the dark chocolate ganache.
- For the cream: in a mixer bowl, place non-dairy heavy cream, powdered sugar and instant chocolate pudding powder.
- With a whipping attachment, whip the cream until it has stiff peaks.
- Transfer the cream to a piping bag with a star nozzle.
- Pipe the cream on top of the cupcakes.
- Garnish with strawberries.
- Have a cupcake and enjoy!