An interesting name for a super delicious dessert? Count me in. Cake pops are crumbled cake with chocolate ganache, basically it’s the easiest dessert you can think of. Not even just think of, but create as well! And who doesn’t love a simple recipe? I had 12 vanilla cupcakes leftover because I doubled the recipe and not all of the guests could finish them as they were stuffed from the hearty dinner meal. That’s why I turned the leftovers into something else that’s just as delicious instead of just tossing them out - these cake pops were the outcome.
You can make cake pops with any baked cake or cupcake, just crumble them with your hands, add chocolate ganache and roll into small balls. Chocolate ganache is chocolate melted with heavy cream and I used dark chocolate. You can use milk chocolate or white chocolate as well. And if you’re a true choc-a-holic, use ALL the different types of chocolate. Go ahead, you know you want to!
Each cake pop is dipped in chocolate ganache to create a smooth look and to keep the balls in their original shape. You can also add a Popsicle stick or skewer to hold the pops but it also works without it.
To make the cake pops look festive I added sprinkles, you can garnish with shredded coconut, nuts or any other garnish you like.
Here is this super easy and quick recipe for cake pops:
- 1 vanilla cake (or 12 cupcakes) crumbled to small crumbs
- 7 oz. (200 grams) dark chocolate
- 1 cup (200 ml) heavy cream
Top coat and garnish:
- 3.5 oz. (100 grams) dark chocolate
- ½ cup (100 ml) heavy cream
- In a mixing bowl, place the cake crumbs.
- In a different bowl, melt the dark chocolate and heavy cream in the microwave in 30 second rounds until the chocolate is completely smooth and united with the cream. Mix with a spatula.
- Pour the chocolate ganache on the cake crumbs and mix well.
- Prepare a plate to place the pops on top of.
- Create small balls of the batter with your hands and place them on the plate.
- Set the plate with the pops in the fridge for half an hour to set.
- Melt the dark chocolate with the heavy cream for the top coat ganache.
- Dip the pops in the ganache.
- Throw a dash of sprinkles (or a garnish of your choosing) on top.
- Set in the fridge to solidify.
- Have a cake pop and enjoy!