Hannukah, (or if you prefer chanukah / hanukkah / chanaka) the holiday of lights, is right around the corner. I rounded up everything you need to enjoy this lovely holiday with your family. Hanukkah Gifts for anyone in your family that complete the candle lightning, donuts scarfing and latkes frying (or baking).
When is Hanukkah 2023
This year we celebrate Hanukkah from the 7th to 15th of December.
Money given as a present during Hanukkah
Giving gifts during Hannukah is not actually part of the holiday and definitely not a must. The only known habit is giving money that is known as Hanukkah gelt (money in Yiddish). Many give chocolate coins wrapped in silver or gold foil wrap instead of real money. Kids just love it (and adults too!)
How many gifts for Hanukkah
Only recently has giving actual gifts become a habit, thanks to the influence of our friends in America. In some families, there is a tradition to give small gifts every night of the 8 days of the holiday, while others give just one big gift on the last day. There are no actual rules since this habit is not really related to the holiday itself, it's just for fun!
But if you’re looking to surprise your family with cute gifts and are wondering what to purchase, I have some ideas for you.
Hanukkah gifts for kids, Hannukah gifts for your spouse, and Hannukah gifts for everyone you love. I know gifts are usually mainly for kids but anyone would be happy with a small gift that shows you are thinking about them.
Hannukah is a holiday of gathering all the family together, lighting up the hanukiah (that is called a menorah as well), scarfing homemade latkes and donuts (sufganiyot), singing songs, playing with dreidels, and hanging together. Adding gifts to this holiday just makes it more enjoyable for everyone!
Here are my Hannukah gifts for 2023:
- For bakers - Give cute Hanukkah-themed cookie cutters as a gift for the baker in your family! If you want, you can also print out my recipe for Hanukkah Sugar Cookies and make it a set for anyone who loves to bake in your family. Baking and decorating cookies and then munching them together can be a nice Hanukkah activity for the family. It’s the first option since it's my favorite one! LOL
- For everyone - Hannukah is all about candles and it is called the holiday of lights after all. Buying Hannukah candles as a gift is one that will be used straight away. Unlike other gifts, this one is needed on each day of the 8 days of the holiday. Or there is always next year's Hannukah to use it.
- For everyone - If you go with the candles option, you can pair it with a new Hanukiya (Menorah), there are some really nice ones to choose from and at different price levels.
- For kids - Hannukah official toy for kids includes dreidels. Like ones that light up when spinning!
- For kids - A new book for young kids can be very exciting, and one about the holiday with beautiful illustrations is an easy option to choose from.
- For dogs - A new toy for your dog that’s themed for Hanukkah, who said gifts are just for humans?
- For Him - A funny t-shirt is always a great option, here is one option I liked:
- For everyone - hanukkah themed pajamas for all the family, there is nothing cuter than some great pajamas for embarrassing family pictures.
If you don’t want to buy something specific and want a safer choice (or you just want to stick to the original habit of giving gelt (money), then you can buy the Hanukkah chocolate coins or nice Hannukah greeting cards.
Get the crayons out! A cute Hannukah printable for your kids to enjoy.
Be sure to check my Hannukah recipe index for some yummy and easy latkes and donuts recipes.
Have a lovely Hannukah!