I know it's still August but Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year) is coming up in no time and you’ve probably already started planning the holiday meal. That’s exactly where this delicious recipe comes in. I have just the perfect dessert that is parve (non-dairy) and uses the holiday symbols perfectly - apple and honey for a sweet new year!
Rosh Hashanah has many symbols and habits but out of all of them, I love the combination of apple and honey the most. The apple is round and reminds all of us the roundness of the year and the wish for a fruitful new year. The honey adds a wish of desire for a sweet year and together, it’s a combination of hope, joy and delicious ingredients 🙂
This easy recipe can also become handy in other occasions where you need a yummy cake. The cake doesn’t look so fancy, instead it has a more rustic and simple look, but the taste is so good that no one will care how it looks! The only garnish I added to this rustic cake is a drizzle of honey to highlight more of the honey flavor and the sweetness of the cake.
If you have been following my blog for a while then you know I like to bake with green apples because of their tart flavor. I assume you can use any kind of apples that you like, but I choose to stick with granny smith. The flour I used is spelt flour which is considered healthier, but you can use plain flour as well.
For more Rosh Hashanah recipes be sure to check out my holiday recipe index here.
Here is the recipe for this delicious non-dairy apple and honey cake:
Parve Apple and Honey Cake
- 4-5 green apples peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup (150 grams) spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Set the oven to 170°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, mix the apples, sugar, cinnamon and olive oil.
- Line a baking pan (9x13) with baking paper.
- Pour the apple batter to the pan.
- In the same bowl you used before, mix the eggs and honey very well until they are united.
- Add the water, flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Pour the batter over the apple batter in the pan and make sure it reaches all the corners.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Drizzle some honey on top of the cake for decoration and extra sweetness.
- Have a piece of cake and happy New Year!