Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
October 30, 2018
I get commission for purchases made through links in this post. disclaimer
A little over a year ago, I began this blog and my cinnamon roll recipe
was the first one I ever shared! That's why I decided to share a vegan version of this classic dessert. As it is a vegan version,
that means that it is also parve (kosher non-dairy) and can fit more occasions and people who might have allergies.
I used applesauce instead of eggs for this recipe. Apples and cinnamon work very well together and plus, the combination tastes delicious. It's a perfect match! I have a recipe for a homemade applesauce here however, if you are in a hurry, store bought is also fine.
To replace butter, I used refined coconut oil which works great when you need a non-dairy butter replacement and to avoid the coconut flavor. If you do not mind the coconut flavor then you can use cold press coconut oil, which is healthier.
The frosting on top is just a simple powdered sugar and boiling water frosting, you can skip it but it really upgrades the taste and look of the cinnamon rolls!
The recipe is very easy and the outcome is super yummy! But come on, this dessert is one everyone is crazy for so let's get started!
- 500 grams / 4 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 160 milliliters / 2/3 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup oil
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water (amount depends on the thickness that you want for the frosting)
- Put all the dough ingredients in a mixer bowl and mix with a kneading hook for a few minutes. It is important to clean the sides of the bowl every few minutes to ensure that all the ingredients have been combined. If the dough is slightly sticky, that is fine too.
- Grease the bowl and make sure that all the dough is greased too. Cover with plastic and let the dough rest in a warm place for about an hour or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 360°F degrees with fan and place baking paper on a pan.
- After the dough has risen, flour the work surface and transfer the dough to it.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a large rectangular leaf, 3 to 4 mm thick. You can cut the dough with a pizza roll (or knife) into a rectangle shape.
- Spread the melted coconut oil evenly on the dough and then, spread the sugar and the cinnamon.
- With the knife or pizza roll, cut lengths 2.5 cm wide and roll into snails. Place the snails on the pan in large intervals.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the rolls are golden.
- Make the frosting: In a bowl, place powdered sugar and boiling water and mix well to avoid lumps.
- Drizzle the rolls with the frosting
- Have a roll and enjoy!
To pin the recipe for later click here