Applesauce is one ingredient that I prefer to make myself. Sure, you can easily buy it in the supermarket but you never know what it really contains and how much sugar you’re consuming. Therefore, I am happy to share with you my homemade sugar free applesauce recipe.
With only 3 ingredients and a short cooking time, you will have fresh applesauce to use in any recipe or to munch on as is.
I like to use green apples, like Granny Smith, for making applesauce. They are less sweet and have a sharp acidic flavor that works very well in applesauce. I also peel the apples, I know some people make homemade applesauce from the whole apple but my recipe works with peeled apples.
If you must have sugar, you can add 2-3 tablespoons. After I made applesauce without any sugar, I find that it tastes delicious in its pure version and I do not miss the sugar! It is a matter of taste so just taste and decide what you like better.
The recipe yields approximately 2 cups of applesauce. I keep the applesauce in an airtight container in the fridge.
Enjoy making this easy and delicious homemade applesauce:
- 3 green apples cored, peeled and cut to small cubes
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- Place apple cubes, lemon juice and water in a pot, cook on high, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, simmer for 20 minutes until the apples are very soft, and fall apart.
- Let it cool. With a fork or food processor, blend to a mush mixture.
- Save in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use.