Applesauce is one ingredient that I prefer to make myself. Sure, you can easily buy it in the supermarket but you never know what it really contains and how much sugar you’re consuming. Therefore, I am happy to share with you my homemade sugar free applesauce recipe.
With only 3 ingredients and a short cooking time, you will have fresh applesauce to use in any recipe or to munch on as is.
If you avoid eating eggs or are on the vegan diet, you know that applesauce is one of the most common replacements for eggs in many baking recipes. I use it in my beet cake and vegan cinnamon rolls.
I like to use green apples, like Granny Smith, for making applesauce. They are less sweet and have a sharp acidic flavor that works very well in applesauce. I also peel the apples, I know some people make homemade applesauce from the whole apple but my recipe works with peeled apples.
If you must have sugar, you can add 2-3 tablespoons. After I made applesauce without any sugar, I find that it tastes delicious in its pure version and I do not miss the sugar! It is a matter of taste so just taste and decide what you like better.
The recipe yields approximately 2 cups of applesauce. I keep the applesauce in an airtight container in the fridge.
Enjoy making this easy and delicious homemade applesauce:
- 3 green apples cored, peeled and cut to small cubes
- Juice of one lemon
- ½ cup water
- Place apple cubes, lemon juice and water in a pot, cook on high, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, simmer for 20 minutes until the apples are very soft, and fall apart.
- Let it cool. With a fork or food processor, blend to a mush mixture.
- Save in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Leave a Reply