Funny name perhaps but it’s super tasty and easy to make. And that can only mean one thing, it’s a win-win situation for everyone! In less than an hour your kitchen will smell like a bakery and what’s even better is that you will have fresh bread for dinner. Come on, it doesn’t get much better than that! Did we mention this recipe only takes less than an hour to complete? Oh we did? Well it really does make all the difference!
What makes Irish Soda Bread so special? Well the essential ingredients in this traditional bread are flour, baking soda, salt, and buttermilk. It's the acid in the buttermilk which reacts with the baking soda base in order to provide the bread’s leavening. And it's the leavening from the buttermilk and baking soda that even inspired the bread's name, “soda bread".
This easy Irish Soda Bread recipe only requires FOUR ingredients so let's get started! Baking bread has never been easier.
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups (500 grams) flour
- 1¾ cups (400 ml) buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sesame seeds and poppy seeds (or choose different seeds depending on your taste)
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F degrees with the fan.
- In a mixer bowl, mix all ingredients together with a kneading hook. Mix well until a ball of dough is created.
- On a baking pan with baking paper, arrange the ball of dough and cut an X mark on top of the dough. (The cut is important as it helps to bake the inside of the bread.)
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Enjoy as is or have with a bowl of soup!