2020 has been quite the year but at least we are already in November! A cozy month that’s chilly and brings out the best of fall - comfort food. And my go-to comfort food during these colder months is a savory, satisfying kugel.
Traditionally there are 2 ways of making kugel - with egg noodles (Lokshen Kugel) or with potatoes.
This particular recipe is an egg noodle kugel that is made with spinach. Sometimes kugel is baked as a sweet dish but for this recipe, that just doesn’t compliment the spinach flavor so, instead, this is a savory kugel. In general, I am not a big fan of sweet kugels so I don’t bake this type of kugel at all. I consider kugel to be a sort of quiche or casserole type of dish. To bake a sweet noodle kugel usually, you use egg noodles, eggs, raisins, cinnamon, cream cheese, sugar, and butter. Or without dairy products to make it parve.
This spinach noodle kugel is parve (non-dairy) and it can fit any holiday (except Passover) or Friday night dinner. It has a crunchy top and a yummy soft center, that’s what makes Kugel a very comforting dish, that and because it's mainly carbs! The spinach addition and the fact that it's not a sweet kugel also makes it a bit healthier than just egg noodles with raisins, cinnamon, and sugar.
To make this spinach noodle kugel, you will first need to cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions and to thaw and strain the frozen spinach. If you want to use fresh spinach then just chop it very fine by hand or with a blender. The other ingredients for this kugel are beaten eggs, soy milk (or other non-dairy milk you prefer), chicken flavor soup powder (I used the parve one by Osem), salt, and pepper. Once you have the cooked noodles and the thawed spinach, simply mix everything together and bake.
Go ahead and start creating this delicious spinach noodle kugel:
Spinach Noodle Kugel
- 1 pack of frozen spinach cubes (800 grams | 28 oz)
- 1 pack egg noodles – (500 grams | 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chicken flavor soup powder I used the parve one by Osem
- 1 tablespoon salt – or less by your taste
- Black pepper by your taste
- 4 eggs beaten
- ½ soy milk or other non-dairy milk
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions.
- Thaw the spinach and strain any excess water.
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients well.
- Grease a pan (9x13).
- Pour the mixture to the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Have a piece and enjoy!