Chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven. This combination is a classic and now that its cherry season, that can mean that it is time for a cake with cherries.
The most important thing to remember when baking with fresh cherries is to pit them and for that, I use a cherry pitter. You can do it by hand as well, however, it will just be messier and might take longer.
This cake is vegan so it has no eggs and dairy products. Perfect for the weekend, Shabbat, and whenever the craving for cherry cake hits!
To whip up the chocolate cherry cake, you only need one bowl. The process is simple and quick. The cake ingredients include all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, vegetable oil, soy milk, vanilla, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar. What makes this cake a chocolate cake is the cocoa powder. Otherwise, you will get just a yummy vegan vanilla cake.
To garnish the cake, I used more cherries and kept it simple, you can add chocolate ganache or vegan whipped cream if you want something fancier. Inside the cake, I used dark cherries only, for the garnish I added some white cherries as well.
You can bake the cake in 2 loaf pans, in a round pan, square pan, or as cupcakes. Baking times will vary.
I baked the cake in a 9.5-inch SpringForm pan.
Let's get started making this delicious chocolate cherry cake:
Chocolate Cherry Vegan Cake
- More cherries
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- Grease the pan and place the pitted cherries in it.
- In a bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, oil, soy milk, and vanilla.
- Mix until you get a unified batter.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix again.
- Pour the batter on top of the pitted cherries in the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Garnish with fresh cherries
- Have a piece and enjoy!