As I previously mentioned on my nectarine galette recipe - Galette is a French name for a round cake or pastry. There are many kinds of galette and this one is savory. The galette has a rustic look and you do not need to be a fancy chef to create it. All you need to do is fold the dough on the filling and whatever way it turns out is more than fine. Just don't tell anyone how easy it was to make this tomato galette and you'll look like a five-star chef!
For the filling of this easy pastry, I chose cherry tomatoes in a few different colors. I like the look of them and of course the taste too 🙂 You can use regular tomatoes as well, just slice them thinly.
Underneath the tomatoes, I spread cream cheese and sprinkle chopped basil on the top - these flavors go very well with tomatoes and the outcome is a yummy savory dish. (But come on, that's a given!)
This recipe, as you probably figured out by now, is super easy and delicious. I definitely recommended this for a light dinner or a summer picnic.
I hope you will enjoy this tomato galette, here is the recipe:
For the crust:
- 2 cups (300 grams) flour
- 2 sticks (200 grams) cold butter cut to cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cream cheese to spread
- Bundle of basil leaves chopped or one cube of frozen chopped basil thawed
- Salt and pepper by your taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil to brush the tomatoes before baking
- In a blender, place flour, salt and cold butter.
- Blend to a crumbled mixture.
- Add the egg and continue blending until the batter turns to dough.
- With your hands, shape the dough to a disc shape and wrap with nylon.
- Place the dough in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.
- Set the oven to 170°C / 350°F fan.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to a 3-4 mm thick sheet.
- Transfer the dough to a baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Spread the cream cheese on the center of the dough and sprinkle the basil on top.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on top of the cheese and basil. Fold the edges of the dough to hold the filling.
- Brush the tomatoes with olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Have a piece and enjoy!
Leave a Reply