Fall is here and with it, we can expect apples, pears, and lots of pumpkin of course. In this post, I am mixing it up as I am happily collaborating with my vegan blogger friends to create a vegan Pear themed list of recipes, Sarah from sarahsveganguide.com created a Spicy Pear Chutney and Talida from hazelandcacao.com created Spiced Oat Pear Muffins. Double YUM!
I was inspired by my sweet tooth and have created a cake that fits to this (LOL). Therefore, we have you covered with three delicious ideas for all kinds of sweet and savory recipes to explore and to inspire you to cook yummy vegan dishes with pears.
When a particular fruit or vegetable is in season, that’s the best time to cook with them. Sure, you can get just about any fruit or vegetable all year around however they are fresher and have a better taste when they’re in season. That’s why we three have decided to focus on pears, it’s their season!
This pear cake recipe that I’ve created contains whole pears that are peeled and poached with cinnamon and lemon to add a tasty fall flavor and aroma. Note that I did cut the bottom of the pears a little bit just to make them stand straight in the pan. When cutting the cake, be sure to remove the seeds inside the pears. The pear stems will peek on top of the cake but I think that’s what makes it look very beautiful and appealing.
This cake is particularly great for the holidays and will surely impress your guests, especially as the pears remain whole, this creates curiosity, “How did you bake the cake and what will it taste like?".
Besides the whole poached pears, the cake contains vanilla and maple syrup flavors, you can also add half a teaspoon of instant coffee if you want even more flavor. The recipe yields one loaf cake; you can double the ingredients if you need a bigger cake.
As I mentioned earlier, this is a vegan cake recipe, if you are looking for more vegan recipes, you are welcome to check out my vegan recipe index.
Without further ado, here is the recipe for my delicious vegan pear cake!
Vegan Maple Whole Pear Cake
For the poached pears:
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 3-4 small firm pears peeled
For the cake:
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup any vegetable oil
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- In a big pan that can contain the pears, place the water, sugar, cinnamon, lemon and peeled pears. Bring to a gentle boil.
- After boiling, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Set the poached pears aside to cool in the liquid.
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F fan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the applesauce, water, oil, maple syrup and vanilla and salt.
- Add the sugar to the bowl and mix until it dissolves in the batter.
- Sift in the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until unified again.
- Add the vinegar and mix again.
- Arrange the pouched pears in a greased loaf cake mold.
- Pour the batter into the mold with the pears.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the cake part.
- Cool the cake at room temperature.
- Dig in!