Let's begin with a brief history lesson - Galette is the French name for a round cake. Ooh-la-la! There are many kinds of galettes available, some are eaten traditionally during holidays and are also more festive. This galette, in particular, is very simple to make and is a rustic version of a fancy tart or pie.
In this tart, you don't need to blind bake or follow multiple steps during preparation which means this recipe is easy and quick to make. On top of it all, the shape is formed by hand and doesn’t use any mold or tin so the outcome looks homemade and lovely.
Since it’s summer, I wanted to use savory summer fruits to really enjoy their flavor during this hot season. I love nectarine and can eat them every day during the summer months, they are just so refreshing. Combining them to make a cake just makes the recipe even better. If you want, you can use peaches or plums instead.
In this cake, I used whole spelt flour to uplift the flavor. It is also a healthier flour too. If you prefer, you can use the same amount of regular plain flour instead.
The other ingredients in this galette are ground almonds and sliced almonds which fit the taste of nectarines perfectly.
Another option for a summer fruity dessert is my mango crumble recipe, it is also vegan, be sure to check it out.
Make a shopping list or if you already have the ingredients, head to the kitchen to make this tasty nectarine galette:
For the dough:
- ⅔ cup whole spelt flour (or regular all-purpose flour if you prefer)
- 1 stick cold butter cut to cubes
- 4 tablespoon powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 2-3 nectarines cut
- 5 tablespoon sugar (you can add more if you prefer a sweeter taste)
- 2 tablespoon ground almonds
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds
- In a food processor with a steel blade, place the flour, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Process until a crumbly mixture is obtained.
- Add the egg and continue to process until the dough lumps are formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and form a disc shape.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Set the oven to 180°C / 360°F fan.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 3-4 mm thick sheet.
- Spread the ground almond in the center of the dough.
- Place the cut nectarines on it and in a spiral shape as much as possible. Note, it does not need to be too tidy.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of sugar on the nectarine.
- Fold the dough edges onto the filling. Try to catch all of the filling and avoid any holes on the sides.
- Sprinkle the last tablespoon of sugar on the dough edges.
- Decorate with sliced almonds on the edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the dish cool and enjoy!