Cupcakes are one dessert that everybody just loves and we’ll fight anyone who disagrees with this assessment. Okay, that’s not true but you get my point. They come in many flavors and colors so anyone can relate to at least one type that’s their favorite. The most important thing in a cupcake is the cream on top - it has to be a delicious cream with a little garnish that will complete the fluffy cake.
This recipe is for basic vanilla cupcakes. I wanted to garnish my cupcakes with blackberries because they look so good on top of the cream and I also added them to the cream itself. Plus, they’re super tasty! It’s a no-brainer.
In addition, the cupcakes have a filling which you only discover when taking a bite. Yum! For the filling, I used blackberry preserve. Any jam, preserve or confiture will work here. The cupcakes came out delicious and I was very satisfied with them - that’s obviously why I’m sharing the recipe with you.
If you want, you can change the blackberries to a different type of berry like blueberries or strawberries but the cream will be light blue or light pink and not light purple like mine.
One important tip is that if you do not plan to consume the cupcakes the same day that you are making them, it is better not to garnish them with the cream. You can keep them in the fridge up to 4 days without the frosting. With the frosting, the cupcakes will stay fresh only for a day.
To bake the cupcakes, I used paper cases, even if you have a cupcake tin it is better to pour the cupcake batter inside paper cases that are placed inside the tin, the cupcakes will easily come out of the tin this way and won't stick.
Let’s get started, shall we? Here is the recipe for my delicious blackberry cupcakes!
- 1¼ cups (175 grams) flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 stick (100 grams) butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 cup blackberry preserve
Ingredients for frosting:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon blackberries preserve
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh blackberries
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F fan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, salt, vanilla, milk and melted butter to a unify batter.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix until unified again.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake paper cases up to ¾ height - the cakes will grow in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool the cupcakes at room temperature.
- With a teaspoon, create holes in each cupcake center.
- Fill the holes with the filling.
- Make the cream: whip all frosting ingredients together to a unify cream with stiff peaks.
- Pipe the cream on top of the filled cupcakes with a star nozzle or any other nozzle that you choose.
- Garnish each cupcake with fresh blackberry on top.
- Dig in!