I mentioned in my monthly newsletter that March is a month of celebration in my family, including my birthday! To make this extra day sweet, I whipped up a vanilla cake trifle recipe that tastes as good as it looks! The added bonus is that this dessert is also parve (non-dairy) and vegan so even more people can enjoy it for any occasion.
Last year, I shared a chocolate cake for my birthday so this year I wanted a different flavor. I know chocolate is a classic flavor for birthday cakes but I don’t think someone will refuse to dive in this trifle dessert just because its vanilla and not chocolate, right?
In case you haven’t heard about trifle dessert, the trifle is a kind of dessert that is served in a big glass bowl that shows layers of sponge cake, fruits and whipped cream. It can have other textures that you choose to include.
Maybe the recipe is starting to sound familiar? If you’re a big fan of the TV show “Friends", it’s the cake that Rachel made...you know the one where she accidently includes meat because the pages were stuck together! Classic. But don’t worry, my recipe is meat free LOL.
This dessert can serve as a backup plan if a cake you baked doesn’t look very good, simply cut it and layer it with cream and fruits and your not so appealing cake is saved!
My trifle dessert contains vanilla sponge cake, strawberries and vegan whipped cream. Any other fruit can work as well. You can add cookies and more decorations; the sky is the limit here, be creative.
There is no pretty way of cutting this dessert and serving it, you just need to use a big tablespoon and dig in!
I hope you'll enjoy this dessert as much as I do.
Here is the recipe for the vanilla cake trifle:
Vanilla Cake Trifle
For the sponge cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract / paste
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the fruits:
- 2 cups fresh cut strawberries
For the cream:
- 1 can 14 oz. coconut cream (20% fat or more)
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract/ vanilla paste
- For the sponge cake: Set the oven to 180°C / 350°F fan.
- In a bowl, mix all the cake ingredients.
- Grease a cake tin (the shape doesn’t matter).
- Pour the cake batter to the tin.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes and cool at room temperature.
- For the cream: follow the instructions of my vegan whipped cream recipe.
- Assemble the trifle: cut the cooled cake to small cubes and place in the serving bowl as the first layer. Continue to create the second layer of cream on top of the cake. Arrange a layer of cut strawberries on the cream.
- Repeat the layer arrangement and finish with a layer of strawberries.
- Dig in and enjoy!