It's still zucchini season so I went ahead and whipped up an amazing zucchini recipe. This time the recipe is vegan, and when it's ready, you don’t even see the zucchini inside of it so your kids might not know they are having chocolate zucchini donuts!
The donuts are baked and not fried. I prefer baked donuts although you can just call it a cake that’s shaped like a donut. I prefer to do it like this because it keeps the donuts on the healthy side and also includes the zucchini so it's even healthier.
No need to peel the zucchini and also no need to squeeze out excess water after grating the zucchini. The water adds the moist texture and you need to use it all for this recipe.
To place the batter in a donut mold, I used a piping bag. You can always use a tablespoon but its cleaner when piping it directly to the mold.
These donuts look and taste decedent and they are full of a delicious chocolate flavor. For garnish, I dip the donuts in melted dark chocolate and added sprinkles. When the baked donuts are out of the oven, they are very soft and could break apart. Before dipping in the chocolate, allow the donuts to cool completely.
The recipe is vegan and therefor it's non-dairy so it added for your Shabbat dessert.
I baked the donuts in big and mini donut molds.
The recipe yields 12 big donuts or 6 big and 12 mini donuts
For more zucchini recipes, check out my zucchini recipe index.
Let's get started whipping up these yummy chocolate zucchini baked donuts:
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Baked Donuts
- 1 cup grated zucchinis (I used 1 medium zucchini)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 3.5 oz. (100 grams) dark chocolate
- Heat the oven to 170°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, grate the zucchini.
- Add sugar, oil, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder and mix it to a unified batter.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag.
- Pipe the batter into a greased donut mold.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Dip each donut in melted chocolate.
- Add the sprinkles.
- Have a donut, or two, and enjoy!