This week I am sharing a simple cake recipe that has a festive look and delicious taste. Date syrup, date honey or date molasses are all names for this sweet and special ingredient, but in Israel, we call it "Silan". It is a thick dark brown fruit syrup that’s made from dates.
Dates are one of the Seven Species (Shiv'at HaMinim) in the Jewish religious traditions. In many Jewish holidays, we consume dates and this festive cake can be your cake for the holiday meal. It is a parve (non-dairy) cake so it fits perfectly!
To whip up the cake, you only need one bowl and a spoon so it's pretty quick and easy - just what every baker wants to hear! The garnish for this cake is what makes it so beautiful and festive. I garnished it with a white glaze made from powdered sugar and water and on top of the glaze, I sprinkled pomegranate seeds. I like to garnish with pomegranate seeds, they look so nice and this is the season for pomegranate, so they are fresh and taste so good.
The cake is also delicious with no garnish at all, if you are trying to reduce sugar intake then you can skip the glaze. I just like the look of it with the garnish so much.
Besides being non-dairy, this cake is also vegan and doesn’t require eggs. It can fit perfectly if you have a vegan guest or you are following the vegan diet.
The recipe yields 1 loaf cake.
For more cakes recipes and other dishes and desserts, head to my recipe index.
Here is the recipe for this delicious silan date syrup cake:
Silan Date Syrup Cake
- ½ cup silan date syrup
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Handful pomegranate seeds
- Set the oven to 160°C / 325°F with the fan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until it creates a unified batter.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool the cake at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar and water to a glaze texture. Add more water if it's too thick. You can decide which consistency of glaze you want.
- Pour the glaze on the cake.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top of the glaze.
- Have a piece and enjoy!