November 21, 2017
I may get commission for purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you. disclaimer
Ahem, “Winter is coming." No, really it is and we’re not talking about Game of Thrones either. We mean sweater weather, boots, scarfs, pumpkin spice everything, and of course, fall colors with leaves all over the ground. Ahh, heaven. Besides, there really is nothing better than a comforting bowl of soup after a long, cold day.
Which is where this tomato soup recipe comes in – plus it happens to be a family favorite at my house every winter. So considering that the weather is getting colder, I thought it was the appropriate time to share it with you! Just note that I add rice to the soup, which makes it thicker, and turns it into an actual meal. Furthermore, it’s an easy recipe and you most likely already have all the ingredients at home. No more waiting around, let’s get to it!
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 fresh pealed tomatoes (I'll tell you below how to peel properly)
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Juice from half a lemon
- 7 cups of boiling water
- 1/2 cup rice- optional
- Wash the tomatoes and cut an x shape on each one, arrange them on a plate and put it in the microwave for 7 minutes.
- Let the tomatoes cool a bit and then peel them – after the microwave cooks the tomatoes, their skin comes off much easier.
- Cut each tomato into 4 pieces.
- In a big pot, fry the onion with olive oil until it starts to change color (best if transparent then a light brown), add the garlic and continue to fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the carrots and bell pepper to the pot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper, and then cover with boiling water (all 7 cups at once).
- Cook for 25 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup to a unify texture.
- Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Add the rice if you wish and cook for another 15 minutes until the rice is ready.
- Garnish with basil leaves and enjoy!
**If you like a more spicy taste than you can add spicy paprika or chili flakes.**
To pin the recipe for later click here