Usually garlic bread comes as a side dish with your pizza delivery, or as a compensation if the delivery person was late. Either way, this dish is sometimes tastier than the pizza! Or maybe that's just me. In this recipe, I chose to make the garlic bread the star of the meal.
I make these garlic basil buns when we are having a dairy meal and everyone always asks for more. The garlic flavor can be very strong but the basil goes well with it and the outcome is very satisfying. I mean, it has to be if everyone always wants more. You must be doing something right!
If you want to stick to tradition and have the garlic buns with pizza, you can try my sweet potato mini pizzas and create a whole meal for your family.
The recipe is easy as always and it will not take long until your kitchen smells like a bakery or a pizza place.
I hope you like these easy smelly garlic and basil buns!
Garlic & Basil Rolls
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1¼ cups (400 grams) Greek yogurt
For the filling:
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 stick (100 grams) butter melted
- Few basil leaves chopped
- ½ cup (100 grams) grated parmesan cheese
- Set the oven to 200°C / 400°F fan.
- In a bowl, mix all of the bun ingredients to a unify batter.
- On a well-floured surface, (the dough is very sticky) roll the dough to a rectangle shape.
- In a small bowl, mix all the of the filling ingredients.
- Brush the dough with the filling but keep a small amount of the filling for later.
- Roll the dough to a long rolled string with a swirl in the center.
- Cut the roll into buns.
- Place each bun on a baking pan lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes until the buns are golden and the cheese is bubbling.
- Take the buns out of the oven while they are still hot, brush them with the remaining filling batter.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Have a roll and enjoy!