Ricotta cheese can be salted or sweetened and is used in many types of food and dishes. The ricotta cheese elevates any flavor when you add to it and one of the classic combinations everyone loves is honey and ricotta cheese. In this recipe I use this combination with the addition of cinnamon and created a festive cake in the shape of a hexagon. The hexagon shape is related to the honey and the honeycomb it came from. You can bake this tart in any shape you want, of course, but I think the outcome is very beautiful in the hexagon shape and it signifies the flavor of honey in the cake.
Tart is the French name of pie. If you prefer, you can call this cake ricotta and honey pie. Tart or pie always contains a crust and a filling. In this recipe, you will need to blind bake the crust which means bake the crust on its own without the filling and afterwards continue baking the cake as a whole, with the crust and filling together.
To garnish the cake I added more honey drizzles and for more texture, I added flaked almonds.
For other types of tart and pie recipes, head to my recipe index page.
Here is the recipe for this yummy ricotta and honey tart:
Ricotta and Honey Tart
For the crust:
- 1 cup (150 grams) flour
- 1 stick (100 grams) cold butter, cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoon (50 grams) powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
For the filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound (450 grams) ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup flaked almonds
- 3 tablespoon honey
- In a food processor with a steel blade, place the flour, butter, powdered sugar and salt, then process until a crumbly mixture is obtained.
- Add the egg and continue to process until dough lumps form.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and form a disc shape.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and cool in the refrigerator for an hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a 3-4 mm thick sheet and set aside the baking pan, making sure to create a right angle between the side and the base, ensuring that the edges remain high.
- Stab the dough with a fork.
- Freeze the dough inside the pan for an hour.
- Set the oven to 170°C / 350°F with the fan.
- Place a sheet of heat resistant nylon or crumpled baking paper on the dough and fill with dry beans/chickpeas or special weights for baking. (This is the “Baking blind" process).
- Bake blind for 13 minutes.
- Remove the weights from the dough and continue baking for 5 more minutes.
- In a bowl, mix well all of the filling ingredients.
- After the 5 minutes are over, pour the filling on the half baked crust.
- Garnish with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for another 30 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Drizzle some honey on top of the cake for more decoration.
- Have a piece and enjoy!