Purim is coming next week so get ready with a tasty hamantaschen recipe, and this time it’s a vegan one with no sugar and date filling - YUM!
These hamantaschen are actually pretty natural in taste, you can fill them up with any spread you want, even a savory one.
The dough is so simple to whip up as you just need 3 ingredients then roll the dough and you don’t even need to wait and cool it.
When I was a child, there were only 2 options for hamantaschen cookies: poppy seeds and dates. The poppy seed filling needs to be precooked so I went for a simpler option - date spread. Nowadays you can find many types, sizes, colors and fillings for hamantaschen that everyone seems to have forgotten the old traditional tastes.
In fact, if you have been following the blog then you know I already shared a vegan hamantaschen recipe 2 years ago. The recipe was different and so was the filling. This recipe is much more simple and quick to create. If you are looking for more hamantaschen recipes, check out my chocolate hamantaschen,spinach hamantaschen and pizza hamantachen recipes.
Here is the recipe for these yummy date hamantaschen:
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup boiling water
For the filling:
- ½ cup date spread
- Heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl mix the flour, oil and boiling water to a unified dough.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface.
- Use a glass or a round cookie cutter to cut circles out of the dough.
- Fill each dough circle with 1 teaspoon of date spread and close the dough into triangular-shaped cookies.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Have a hamantaschen and Happy Purim!