March is already here which means that in just a few days, we will celebrate Purim. Personally, this also means many family birthdays, including mine! For my family, March is a fun-filled month, full of sweets and celebrations. 🙂
To kick off the celebrations, I’m sharing a recipe...a chocolate recipe. They say that 9 out of 10 people love chocolate and the tenth person lies LOL, so I’m guessing a lot of you will love this recipe!
These chocolate crumble bars are so good as a little treat with a cup of coffee or you can add them to your mishloh manot. The recipe is parve (non-dairy). But if you don’t mind it to include dairy, simply replace the coconut oil with 1 stick of butter.
Besides the coconut oil, the recipe only requires a few basic ingredients and is very easy to make, even though there is a double baking process.
Both the dough and the filling only requires 3 ingredients each, so you are only 6 ingredients away from these yummy chocolate crumble bars.
The dough in this recipe is used as a base and also as the crumbs on top. First, you bake the base only and then add the chocolate filling and crumbs and continue baking. The outcome is a 3 layer bar cookie. YUM!
The bars are very crumbly and might fall apart while you cut them, but they still taste amazing - obviously.
Here is the recipe for these delicious chocolate crumble bars:
Chocolate Crumble Bars
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
For the filling:
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 7 oz (200 grams) dark chocolate
- Set the oven to 180°C/ 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, melt the coconut oil to a liquid form in the microwave.
- Add the flour and sugar and mix well to get a crumbly dough.
- Grease a baking pan (9x13).
- Divide the dough to 2.
- Flatten with your hands one part of the dough in the baking pan.
- Bake the base for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl, melt the chocolate with the soy milk in the microwave.
- Let the chocolate batter cool a bit and add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix well to a smooth unified texture.
- Pour the filling on the baked base.
- Crumble with your hands the other half of the dough and sprinkle on top of the filling.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Cut into squares.
- Have a bar and enjoy this chocolatey dessert!