You don't really need a reason to have a cookie, am I right? That's a rhetorical question of course! In this case, the sugar cookie recipe I have for you is vegan and it can easily fit when you are in need of a parve (kosher) dessert too. Besides, you can never go wrong with a cookie.
These sugar cookies are very easy to make and are delicious, according to my family and co-workers who have tasted it. They're very much in demand!
I used purified coconut oil because I did not want them to have a coconut flavor, it might be less healthy but then again, we are talking about cookies so it wasn't considered a healthy food to even begin with. After a long time avoiding coconut oil because of its strong taste, I discovered that purified coconut oil has no coconut taste. Finally, a solution! In savory foods, I really can't stand the coconut flavor and when it comes to sweets, it is more acceptable but sometimes you just don't want it, you know? That's why purified coconut oil solves this problem.
I refer to this recipe as "sparkling sugar cookies" because of the extra sugar sprinkled on top, which gives it that spark, plus I like the look it gives the cookies. I think they are very festive and yet classic. If you want, you can of course decorate them differently, dip them in dark chocolate or add colorful sprinkles before baking, the sky is the limit!
Keep reading to get your hands on this easy sparkling vegan sugar cookie recipe!
Sparkling Vegan Sugar Cookies
- 2½ cups (350 grams) flour
- ½ cup (115 grams) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (180 grams) coconut oil in a solidify mode - not liquid
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup cold water
For the sparkling look:
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- In a blender, blend flour, sugar, salt and coconut oil to a crumbly mixture.
- Add water and continue to blend until the dough starts to unify.
- Shape the dough into a disc shape on baking paper and put in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Heat the oven to 170°C / 350°F fan.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and roll on a floured surface.
- Using cookie cutters, cut the cookies out of the dough.
- Place the cookies onto a baking pan.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of the cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Pay attention after 8 minutes, if the cookies start to get browner, take them out.
- What are you waiting for? Have a cookie!