For some time now, there has been a growing trend of taking your lunch to work in a jar! Not only does it make your life easier but its also looks chic. Oh, you might even feel really good about eating those fresh, clean vegetables of yours too. When making a jar salad, the options are endless! You can add quinoa or pasta, toasted nuts, cheese and any other ingredient that you like. Besides, you get to choose the vegetables you add to your jar salad and that's half of the battle right there.
You can choose to add the dressing for the jar salad only when eating the salad or directly add it to the jar but if you do add it to the jar, then it needs to be the first layer (the first thing you add so it sits on the bottom) therefore it doesn't ruin the freshness of the vegetables.
When you place the vegetables in layers in the jar; make sure you add the "wet" vegetables (like tomato) at the bottom so the "dry" ones (like the lettuce) will not get soggy.
This easy and healthy jar salad recipe is exactly what you need to fuel your day:
- 5 tablespoon corn kernels
- 1 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 4 tablespoon cut black olives
- A few lettuce leaves
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (it is usually very salty so keep that in mind when adding the salt)
- A few leaves of basil, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper by your taste
- Cut all vegetables into small cubes.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the dressing ingredients.
- Add the dressing as the first layer or save in the small bowl.
- Place the vegetables in layers in the jar.
- Before having the salad add the dressing if it is outside of the jar.
- Shake the jar to mix the salad.
- Dig in and enjoy!