You know those days when you are sick and need a comforting warm bowl of soup? That is what happened to me a few days ago - I needed some soup ASAP. I came back home from work with a headache and runny nose and made this red lentil and carrot soup quickly to ease my pain and boost my body with some warm food.
What is best about this recipe is that in 40 minutes, you have your soup ready and it only requires 10 minutes of prepping. Did I mention it’s a delicious vegan recipe? (Guess I just did!)
Lentil Carrot Soup
- 1 onion cut to small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 carrots cut to cubes
- 2 potatoes cut to cubes
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 8 cups boiling water
- Baby spinach leaves
- In a big pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook until it becomes transparent and tender.
- Add the minced garlic cloves and cook for 1 more minute – be careful not to burn it.
- Add lentils, carrots, potatoes and all spices and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the boiling water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with baby spinach leaves and serve with bread if desired.