The name of this soup might be confusing, so let’s clear that up right off the bat - this soup does not actually contain oranges. Only orange-colored vegetables. Now that that’s squared away, this orange vegetable soup has a rich flavor and gives off that homey feeling after eating, which is perfect as the weather starts to cool down. I even serve this soup in the Sukkah as it fits the season perfectly!
As mentioned, this soup is made out of orange-colored vegetables, including pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, and one regular potato too. After cooking the soup, you then blend it with an immersion blender to a smooth texture. A simple and easy process! To make the vegetables cook faster, I cut everything into small cubes.
In this recipe, you don’t need to make a puree of the pumpkin before cooking the soup, instead, all of the vegetables are cooked together and then mashed to a unified puree stew soup.
To add more flavor to the orange vegetable soup, I used garlic, turmeric, dry thyme, and of course, salt and pepper. These spices fit well with the pumpkin and sweet potatoes and create a rich, savory soup.
I only bought a piece of pumpkin and used all of it for the soup, if you have a whole pumpkin then just use ¼ to ½. If it’s a small pumpkin, you can use it all. If you have leftovers then check out some other pumpkin recipes I created.
Another great thing about this soup is that it works really great as baby food! I gave some to my daughter and she loved eating it. Just be sure to check that it’s completely smooth before serving to a baby or toddler.
For garnish, I added some pumpkin seeds as it adds more texture and crunch. Of course, avoid the garnish when serving to a baby or even if you don’t want to garnish. You can also garnish with other types of seeds too or with fresh green herbs.
If you are looking for more soup recipes, check out my recipe index.
This soup is warm, comforting, perfectly spiced, and simple to make. What are you waiting for? Go ahead and start cooking this delicious orange vegetable soup:
Orange Vegetable Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 piece of pumpkin – approximately 2½ cups of cubed raw pumpkin
- 1 potato
- 3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- Salt and pepper by your taste
- 8 cups boiling water
- A handful of pumpkin seeds - optional
- Peel and cut to small cubes the pumpkin, sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, and the potato.
- In a big pot, place the onion with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Sautee the onion until it starts changing its color.
- Add the garlic and continue sautéing for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and spices to the pot.
- Add the boiling water.
- Bring to a boil on high.
- Cook 1 hour on low.
- Blend with an immersion blender to a smooth texture.
- Ladle to individual bowls.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, if you want.
- Serve, enjoy, and have a happy fall!
Leave a Reply