Bulgur is a common ingredient in a Middle Eastern cuisine. Usually we make tabbouleh salad with bulgur but this salad is a bit different.
Being a cereal and a whole grain makes the bulgur very filling and this salad can even be considered a meal because you will feel very full after eating it. How many salad recipes do you know that can do that?!
The bulgur is parboiled and doesn’t need to be cooked. The only preparation you need to do in order to consume it, soak it in water. Easy enough!
In this salad recipe, I was inspired by this recipe who used carrot juice instead of water to soak the bulgur and I wanted to try and soak it in beet juice. It gave the bulgur a very nice pink color and a great taste! With this method, you can use any juice you prefer to soak the bulgur. This is the time to be creative! ☺
To complete the salad, I added cucumbers, carrots, yellow peppers, parsley and pomegranate seeds. The outcome is full of color and taste!
The salad looks so pretty and can also be a festive dish for a holiday meal too. To cut the carrots into thin sticks, I used a mandolin slicer and for parsley, I used herb scissors. Of course you can simply use a knife to cut them but with these tools the vegetables look better in the salad and the carrot specifically tastes better, in my opinion, when it’s cut to sticks instead of big chunks.
For more salad recipes, check out my recipe index page.
Here is the recipe for this beautiful yummy bulgur beet salad:
Bulgur Beet Salad
- ½ cup bulgur
- Beet juice to cover the bulgur (~¼ cup)
- 2 carrots cut to thin sticks
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 cucumbers
- Bundle of parsley
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Lemon juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper by your taste
- In a bowl, place the bulgur and cover with the beet juice.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for 1-2 hours so the bulgur will soak up the liquid.
- Cut all vegetables.
- Add vegetables to the bulgur bowl.
- Add pomegranate seeds to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over salad and mix well.
- Dig in and enjoy!