I know, I know. It’s summer and you just aren’t in the mood to bake. But, here’s the thing, these apple bars are worth the effort! When I made them, my family couldn’t stop raving about them and immediately asked me to bake another batch while they were scarfing one down!
The recipe is pretty easy to follow along with and there aren't many ingredients involved, and I am pretty sure you have all the ingredients in your kitchen now. If you want to make the recipe non-dairy (parve) then just switch the butter to coconut oil or other butter substitutes. I don’t like using margarine so I don’t recommend it but if you don’t care, go ahead as it will work.
I used green apples (granny smith) that have a tart flavor, I prefer using this kind of apple because they turn out delicious once you bake them!
Another bar recipe I shared last year was lemon bars, check it out here. They are so, so good! But don’t just take my word for it, make a few yourself!
Check out my recipe below for these amazing apple bars:
For the dough:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup (250 grams) melted butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
For the filling:
- 4 cubed apples
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Set the oven to 180°C / 350°F with the fan.
- In a bowl, mix all the dough ingredients well.
- Divide the dough batter to 2, one half should be flattened on a greased pan (9x13).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix well the filling ingredients.
- On the half-baked bottom dough, pour the filling on top.
- Crumble with your hands the other half of the dough and sprinkle on top of the filling.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Cut into bars.
- Have an apple bar, or three, and enjoy!